Commissioned in the second half of the 15th century, by the banker Luca Bonaccorso Pitti to Filippo Brunelleschi, Palazzo Pitti is situated in the first great square in the area that the Florentines call “Diladdarno” or “beyond the Arno” at the feet of Boboli. The present version of Palzazzo Pitti is larger than its original smaller body dimensions. In 1550 the Palazzo was purchased by Cosimo of the Medici family to become the residence and in 1558 he commissioned Bartolomeo Ammannati to do work on refining aspects which also included the addition of large windows in the facade called inginocchiate, and the creation of the courtyard.
The creation and construction of the Great Garden Boboli, named for by the homonymous hill, was commissioned out to Niccolò Tribolo. The addition of a great corridor for the family, so as to be able to walk from the Palazzo to the Piazza Signoria protected from the dangers of an attack, was built in 1565 by Vasari. In 1618, under the direction of Giulio da Paragi, the works continued. The Palazzo was extended with an addition of two other buildings with two floors each. Great artists such as Giovanni da Sangiovanni and Pietro da Cortona were summoned to render the palace breathtakingly royal with their extraordinary works. At the end of the 18th century, the final addition was made to the building which was the Palazzina della Meridiana. Commissioned out to Gaspare Maria Paoletti and Pasquale Poccianti by Pietro Leopoldi and done in neo-classical style.
Today Palazzo Pitti is the seat of important museums, with expositions of Silver, Chinawares, Costumes, Carraiges, a Modern Art Gallery and the Garden of Boboli.